I’m way behind in covering the trial, but here are some highlights and my thoughts.
09:00 Commander Breivik gives the Knights Templar clenched fist salute.
09:04 Prosecutors Inga Bejer Engh continues questioning Commander Breivik. She focusses primarily on his visit to London and Liberia, with the intend of making it seem like Breivik didn’t meet anyone on these trips.
The full court transcript is available here:
11:30 Breivik explains that during the London meeting it was decided to reject National Socialism to appeal to a larger audience. Christianity was chosen as a cultural heritage and as such function as a unifying force. The Crusader identity was adopted to encourage self sacrifice. A leaderless single cell organization was chosen as it was deemed that large structured organizations were too vulnerable.
13:01 Breivik has taken the witness stand and District Attorney Inga Bejer Engh picks up where she left off.
14:17 Breivik states that all militant nationalists have much to learn from al-Qaeda. Although we want different things, they have had success with the methods. We will have a European version.
14:27 Breivik states that there are only two fair outcomes of this case, an acquittal or the death penalty. He does not want to be sentenced to death, but would respect that decision. He states that 21 years in prison is a pathetic punishment.
14:32 Breivik tells Engh that one of the 8000 who received an email with the compendium is part of the KT network. This seems in line with the strategy to create a witch hunt, and subsequently increase pressure on conservatives and nationalists, polarization, and as such hastening the onset of armed resistance.
14:42 Brievik said in the first police interviews that if Norway introduced the death penalty and torture he would reveal the two other cells. But he rejects this in court, saying that he would never have ratted on the cells.
15:18 Breivik: – We want a Christian heritage. I believe in God, but I’m not particularly religious. I believe in an afterlife. Beyond that, I have no comment.
15:30 Breivik explains the legal clause of the manifest which allows it to be redistributed and modified freely.
To give the left a harder time you should as clearly and simply as possible state that you release your work into the public domain. Commander Breivik could have done this as following:
I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby dedicate the work to the public domain by waiving all of my rights to the work worldwide under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights, to the extent allowed by law.
You can copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission.
15:39 Breivik: – I have started a witch hunt for moderate cultural conservatives. It will contribute to increased polarization and radicalization. Better results than expected.
15:46 Breivik: – I have a duty to prevent my ethnic group from being destroyed. It is a human right.
15:54 Breivik: – it is important to distinguish the two principles, such as 2 percent who are not ethnic Norwegian had been acceptable for me, but, but not if you use Norway as a dumping ground for the developing world as it happens today.
In other words, Breivik states that he wants 98% of Norway’s population to be Norwegian. The remaining 2% should be comprised of cute East European mail order brides or equivalent European stock.
15:55 Heather: – What makes a nationalist militant?
15:55 Breivik: – Militant means one is an activist, or that you sympathize with them.
This was a much needed clarification. The number of militant nationalists is around 4% and quickly rising, though the vast majority are sympathizers who don’t partake in armed or civilian action. This percentage seems low, but if this 4% is comprised of combat capable white males we’re halfway there.
15:57 Breivik: – Fjordman is a nationalist, and I am an ultra-nationalist. He supports democracy and opposes violence. I am a militant.
16:01 The court is adjourned and set again at 09 on Thursday. Commander Breivik will continue his testimony.